Monday, April 25, 2011

Never a dull moment...

When you are in the classroom everyday there are always surprises.  You never know what is going to happen on a daily basis.  Today, however, we had a surprise that we never would have expected...

This morning I arrived in my classroom and started getting ready for the day.  With spring break being last week I had plenty of things to do...open the blinds, plug in the computer, put the chairs out, etc.  The kids came in, ate breakfast, had "line time" and started their work.  About 9:00 I overheard two 5 year old girls tell our assistant that there was a snake in our classroom.  I thought...ok what in the world are they talking about?  So I walked over and glanced around their area.  No snake.  I asked the girls about it and sure enough...there he was, curled up taking a nap in one of my baskets on the bottom of a shelf!  One of the girls had reached into the basket to pick up a book and saw the snake lying peacefully in the basket.  
This is the best picture I could get of our little friend...I of course was standing on top of a table at a safe distance while taking the picture.
 We called for backup and had all the kids move to the other side of the room while we waited.  I asked the girls if they saw the snake move and their response was..."yeah!  And he stuck his tongue out at us!"  Once help arrived the snake was removed from the building and taken out to the woods.  I was told that it was a rat snake and was completely harmless.  I actually don't care what kind of snake it was...no snake is a good snake to me! 

1 comment:

  1. okay. This is HORRIFYING -- and I am sooooo proud of you for not shrieking and upsetting all of your students. Because for real. YIKES!!

    ReplyDelete