Friday, December 23, 2011

Thumbprint Cookies

Today I got a little domestic and started baking...it doesn't happen often, but when I do feel the itch for cookies I like to make ones that my mom made when I was little.  You all know how I feel about pumpkin chocolate chip cookies in October...but have you ever had Thumbprint cookies at Christmas?
My mom couldn't find THE recipe so I had to google it and see what I could find.
It wasn't quite the way mom made them, but I thought it couldn't be too different.
Why hello Kitchen Aid...it's been a while!
Stir in some poppyseeds...and by all means buy those poppyseeds from the World Direct Market outside of Atlanta...you could never get that many poppyseeds at the grocery store for $.71!
Roll into balls and press your thumb in the middle then bake.
They turned out flatter than my mom's recipe, but still tasty.
Luckily for you...my mom found her recipe!

4 oz Cream cheese
2/3 cup butter (I usually substitute Butter Flavored Crisco for a moister cookie)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
poppy seeds (just whatever you feel comfortable with)
Jam

Beat cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla.  Sift (ha!) dry ingredients and add to mixture.  Blend well.  Chill at least one hour.  When chilled, shape into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet.  Press down centers with thumb.  Bake at 375 for 8-10 min.  (if still too high, press down with spoon halfway through baking.  Cool and fill with jam.  I sometimes add the jam before they are completely baked in order to harden the jam, just a bit.



Thanks mom!!!


Now I'll leave you with a little Instagram magic...happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment