Sunday, October 16, 2011

PW Lasagna

There is something about fall that makes me want to read The Pioneer Woman's blog.  Maybe its because when I think of cowboys I think of chili and hay and fallish things...who knows!  Now, I am a girl of habit.  If my mom cooked something a certain way, that's how I do it too.  BUT I went out on a limb and looked up PW's lasagna and decided to give it a try.


The ingredients were simple enough and I already had most of what I needed.  Her recipe called for ground beef and hot breakfast style sausage but I'm scared of change and spicy sausage in a lasagna was too much for me.  Maybe next time.


Her recipe called for two cans of whole tomatoes and two cans of tomato paste.  I have to say I've never made lasagna without the help of a large jar of Prego sauce...I felt so authentic!

Now comes the tricky part...you see P-dub makes everything look so easy, but for those of us who lack certain kitchen skills its a little frustrating.  She said to simply lay the noodles on aluminum foil to keep them flat as you are getting the sauce ready.  UM...they stick together and don't look at pretty as in her picture.

But the noodle issue wasn't the end of the world and minus a burnt thumb it ended up ok.
The next part did make me happy...rather than using ricotta cheese, PW uses cottage cheese and eggs!  Just like my Mamasita!
This is how I cook...laptop used as recipe book
After you layer everything (which I was so busy doing that I forgot to photograph it) you pop it in the over for about 30 minutes and voila!  Yummy Pioneer Woman lasagna!
I used the "food" setting on my camera for all of these pics...who knew there was such a setting!



3 comments:

  1. Did you like the lasagna? I made it last year with the sausage and didn't love it. I would do all beef if I made it again -others have said it was delicious that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It was super yummy! I feel like two kinds of meat might be a little much so I'm glad I stuck with just beef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. looks awesome! can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete