Monday, August 1, 2011

So long sweet summer

I can't believe that summer is almost over...it really feels like just yesterday I was posting about the start of summer.  
This happens to me every year...I make all kinds of plans and ideas for how to spend my time and by August I wonder what I did with my time for the last two months!  I did have a great summer though and kept myself busy.  I spend a lot of time:
hanging out at my house
reading books (mostly re-reading HP for the big movie premier)
laying by the pool
doing laundry
having lunch with friends
I love summertime so much...I would even venture to say that it is my favorite season.  Things I love about summer:
staying up late knowing that I can sleep-in in the morning
warm (and somewhat hot) weather
hanging out at the house and being lazy
freedom people seem to have and the willingness to get a group of people together on a short notice
shorts, summer shirts and sundresses

While all these things make me miss the wonderfulness of summer there is something about the first day of August that kicks me into school mode.  I've already been up to the school to start putting my classroom back together.  I've seen my roster which makes me so excited to see all those sweet little faces again.  Most of my class are kids from last year who get to stay with me until they go to first grade but there a few new names on the list this year.  I am totally a teacher at heart and one of the reasons I know this is because I get so excited to see all the school supplies filling the shelves of Target.  It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes for You've Got Mail:
Tom Hanks character writing to Meg Ryan's character in an email...
"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."

So here's to the end of summer and the start of a brand new school year!



No comments:

Post a Comment