Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Dentist

Oh the dentist...I have a love/hate relationship with him!  I love the feeling of smooth clean teeth when you leave but hate all the poking, prodding, and scraping you have to endure while there.  I feel silly every February when dental health month rolls around and I tell my students how wonderful it is to go to the dentist.  How you shouldn't be scared of going because he is friendly and just wants to help you keep your teeth clean and shiny.  BUT...I hate going!  There's just something about sitting there with your mouth open wide answering the hygienist with strange throaty sounds when she insists on talking and asking your questions.  (Seriously-how do you expect me to answer when you have three different tools in my mouth?)

Last June I went to the dentist for the first time in three years!  I just knew that I was going to have a mouth full of cavities.  Now don't get me wrong...I brush twice a day and sometimes three, but the fact that I hadn't been in so long was making me nervous.  As luck would have it I came out with a clean bill of health.  Today I went back for my annual visit (every six months is just too much for me to handle) and wouldn't you know I am still cavity free!  The hygienist said I just have really great teeth.  My gums on the other hand could use a little help.  She convinced my to spend some money on a special "sonic" toothbrush.  She said it was my best option if I want to stay away from gum disease. (that and flossing *shudder*) I figure if I splurge a little now on a fancy toothbrush I can save thousands later by not visiting the periodontist.

Here is the new addition to our bathroom 
So now thanks to my fancy new toothbrush, some floss, and Listerine I hope to have another 28+ years with a clean and happy mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment