Tuesday, February 22, 2011

In West Philadelphia

This weekend I had a chance to visit one of my best friends from Harding.  Sara is in the PHD program for school pychology and was placed in Philadelphia for a year with the internship program.  I flew into Philly about 6:30 Friday night and we went to dinner then just chilled at her apartment the rest of th evening.  Saturday morning we slept in then got lunch at this little hole in the wall place.  They didn't have tables so we had to get our lunch to-go.  The problem we had on Saturday was the crazy weather!  First of all it was 44 degrees, but on top of that we had 55-60 mph winds!  It was a bit frigid.  Because of the coldness we ate our Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches in the car at the Valley Forge National Park.
 I didn't take a single picture on Saturday because it was just too dang cold!  But we did see a few sights...we went to the Philadelphia Art Museum and saw the steps that Rocky ran up in the first movie.  We toured around then went back to her apartment for dinner and a movie.

Sunday morning we slept late again then headed downtown to the historic part of the city.  The weather was a little warmer, but so much better because of the lack of wind.  First we toured the building where Benjamin Franklin had his printing press.  Then we went to Independence Hall and saw where the Declaration of Independence was signed.
The printing press and post office in front of where Benjamin Franklin's house used to be.
This statue represents all the men who signed the Declaration of Independence
This is the acual chair that George Washington sat it!
The signing room
Independence Hall
At the Liberty Bell, I was getting my picture taken when everyone started clapping.  We turned around a couple had just gotten engaged!  Kinda a random place for an engagement...but it must have been special to them!  I just hope they don't have a red, white, and blue themed wedding.
The LOVE Park
 Sunday night we ate dinner at Baja Fresh then went back to her apartment AGAIN to hang out and watch a movie.  Even though we didn't do a whole lot of running around, we still had loads of fun.  It was great to see an old friend.  I forget how much I miss my Harding girls now that we are grown up and living all over the country.
Sara and Waldo

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I love Philly!! I've been there several times and the historical sites are so cool. I love that you loved it! And, hilariously, I have totally and seriously considered a red, white and blue wedding :P Haha -- but listen -- if I ever do it, I'll try not to be obnoxious with the theme ;) and you can feel free to laugh at me all you want :) Haha :) Glad you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete