Friday, February 11, 2011

The Great Flood

As I lay here in bed I think about how I SHOULD be going to sleep seeing how I have class tomorrow morning...but I just can't seem to fall asleep.  You see, I have a lot on my mind right now...starting with the fact that our kitchen flooded today.
 AHHHHH!!!
Let me start at the beginning...
I was on my way home from class today when J called.  He said Lee (our neighbor and good friend) had just called him because he saw water flowing from our garage door.  Well, Lee knows the code to our garage and let himself in only to find the hose from the washing machine had busted and there was an arch of water streaming out of it.  He quickly turned the water off and began pulling wet things out of our garage. (Did I mention what a good friend he is!?!?)  I got home shortly after to find my entire kitchen flooded with water.  I immediatly grabbed the camera and starting taking pics for insurance sake (and of course for the blog...hehe)
I know this looks bad, but I promise I do vacuum my house.  The nastiness on the floor is what floated out from under the washer and dryer and fridge.
The little hole that started it all!
This may not seem like a lot of water...but when it covers you kitchen floor and is slowing creeping across your carpet to reach your new couches...its a big deal!
 
The water somehow managed to seep through the wall and run outside the house.  Even the back porch was wet.
 After we moved out all the kitchen furniture and various wet things from the house, J and Lee started sweeping the water out.  THANKFULLY the water reached about a foot away from my beautiful new couches so we wanted to get as much of the standing water out before it continued to spread.  The crazy part was water had gotten underneath our linoleum floor and the whole floor started to bubble up.
 Soon after our dads arrived on the scene and pulled out the wet/dry vac things.  Whatever those things are, they're amazing.  It pulled in all the standing water on the hard floor and even some of the water from the carpet.  We had most every thing cleaned up by the time the clean up crew came.  They made my house unrecognizable.
 So now we wait.  All of these fans and heaters have to stick around until Monday and then Nationwide will send someone in to assess the damages.  I'm really hoping we can get some new carpet out of this fiasco.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa. What a disaster, and yet how calm and organized your clean-up was!! Go Josh and the dads. I am soooo sorry for the stress, Lauren, but SOOOO glad the water didn't get the new couches!! Keep us updated...

    ReplyDelete