Monday, July 23, 2012

Black paint

We made a bold move this past week in our house.  I wanted to add a little "pop" to our plain-jane cookie cutter house so we bought some black paint.  When I told people what I wanted to do I got mixed reactions.  Some people thought it was be really neat and others were a little more skeptical.

We decided to paint our interior doors black!
We have some friends who did the same thing to their house maybe a year or so ago and it looked very cool.  She told me that it would give our house an advantage for when we some day were looking to sell.  I thought I was just take the plunge and go for it...
Before

 In the process
(which took several days and several coats of paint)
Finished product

6 comments:

  1. Lauren!!! I love it! Who would have thought how amazing it would look. It completely changes the look/feel of the home.
    I may have to show this to Joseph and we may be stealing your wonderful idea!
    Questions: Did you use high gloss black? Did you paint both side of the doors? And one last question: How did it translate with rooms that aren't necessarily geared towards the color black??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We did use high gloss...but I kinda wish we would have gone with the semi-gloss. I did paint both sides except for the door to the spare bedroom...I left it white on the back so when the door is closed it looks "normal." Our house is kinda square and all the doors are close together so it just worked out. Our bedroom is the only room upstairs and I didn't paint that door because its such a separate area of the house.

      Delete
  2. I think I might have to steal this idea! I love it! I bet it will be easier to hide dirt that way too. My doors look a mess from having dog paws, little hands, and big hands touching them. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I didn't realize how dirty our doors were until I started to really look at them before I painted. Its crazy!

      Delete
  3. LOVE IT!! This was a genius idea, Lauren!! They look amazing -- well done :)

    ReplyDelete